Feeds RSS

Sunday 9 September 2007

Change of Life

I miss my guitars...all left in Brunei...I miss my jamming with my band, and I basically just miss having a normal life of a normal student. Unlike now where I'm living and studying like a medical student. Do I regret taking the medical course? Sometimes I guess, but most of time my desire to learn, help and cure overcomes the urge to quit. I never quit. Definitely never.

This is changing the topic but Pavarotti's death shocked the shit out of me. Literally. I had to go to the toilet straight after I read that piece of news off Yahoo! News but then again that's another story. He was 71. Pancreatic cancer. After I read it I was so emotional - for some strange reason left unexplained - that I went to Youtube and watched all his greatest performances, of which there were MANY, I can assure you. Ripped his songs off Limewire as I left his albums in Brunei. Not that I knew him personally or anything but the fact that I knew him was enough to throw me into momentary misery. Why? Why the connection? The only other time I felt this way was when my cat died. True I listen to his songs, my voice coach AGES ago told me about him, but that was it.

I guess sometimes we are just shocked that someone as famous and kind and rich and glamorous can also still die, a daily reminder that beyond the fame and fortunes there is always someone greater than all of this - God. We mortals place superstar singers and actors on such a high pedestal these days that we make them seem invincible. Some go as far as worshiping them like idols, which I personally think is dead wrong.

Anyway, to come back to the point, I have made my decision to take up the challenge of the medical profession, not forced by anyone. Since I am already in it, might as well make the best of it right? As Pavarotti said and I quote, "I think a life in music is a life beautifully spent and this is what I have devoted my life to." If he can do that to music surely I can say the same thing about medicine, and so I will devote my life to learning and practicing and studying then. For now.

0 comments: